Cathy Bennett Delivers Post-Budget Keynote to the Board of Trade
Finance Minister Cathy Bennett delivered a keynote address to the St. John’s Board of Trade, one day after presenting Budget 2017 in the House of Assembly.
Her speech, delivered to a sold-out crowd, outlined Newfoundland and Labrador’s economic situation, which is much improved less than two years after the Liberals formed government.
It is your hard work and dedication that is helping to make Newfoundland and Labrador a great province to live, work, and do business.
–Finance Minister Cathy Bennett
Minister Bennett’s speech gave an overview of the entire 2017 budget, with an emphasis on how it will impact business in Newfoundland and Labrador. She listed a number of strategic investments the Liberal government is making to diversify the economy and promote growth in the private sector.
Some of these highlights included:
- $20.2 million to support culture and heritage
- $14.4 million for economic and business development
- $13 million for tourism marketing
- $8 million for Investment Attraction Fund
- An additional $2 million Newfoundland and Labrador Film Development Corporation equity investment
- Approximately $5 million for the province’s wild fishery and the aquaculture industry
- $3.9 million to continue Growing Forward 2, a five-year, $37 million cost-shared project with the Federal Government.
Minister Bennett’s speech was streamed live on the Liberal Party of Newfoundland and Labrador’s Facebook page. See embedded video below for playback of the event.